Pinterest & Twitter

Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Twitter

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Most Annoying Things on the Internet, Part 2

*See part 1 here..

To recap, I whined about videos and sideshows last week, and this week I'm getting on the case of pop-up ads,  music, and newsletter subscription sites. I hope you agree, if only so we can band together and create a grassroots uprising against these Internet faut pas!

Pop-up ads 

I don't know if you know anything about marketing, but from what I can tell interruptive marketing is quickly going out of style; consumers are getting too good at blocking these ads out of their attention span, nevermind the fact that these ads are just super annoying. The thing is, websites are catching on to the fact that we all have pop-up blockers and are now using a new generation of pop-up ads that aren't exactly pop-ups but that completely obstruct one's view of the site! Since mobile browsing is becoming more common, these ads are becoming increasingly annoying; it can be very challenging to quickly close these windows on a touch screen. 
The absolute worst is when these pop-up-type ads are asking me to subscribe to their newsletter...


Newsletter Requests 

When I arrive at a site, there's a good chance it's my first time checking the site out. How, then, can I know upon arrival at a site whether or not I want to subscribe to the newsletter? I need to read the content on the site first! It irritates me when these sites apparently expect me to blindly subscribe. That said, if I like the content after I've read it, and the site has social media profile links available or even a discrete box where I can opt in to the newsletter, there's a good chance I'll take advantage of those features. But please, prove yourself to me first.

Music

If your site starts playing music as soon as I open the page, please don't expect me to stay long. I think this point is fairly self-explanatory. 

Share your internet pet peeves (or feel free to disagree with mine!) in the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment